Announcement regarding the 5th Neutron and Muon School
The School provides training for newcomers to neutron and muon beam research from across the fields of physics, chemistry, biology, materials science and more. In addition to lectures, practical sessions are included with hands-on training. All neutron techniques are generally covered, with emphasis on powder diffraction, single-crystal diffraction, and inelastic scattering. Hands-on training with muons provides an introduction to the muon spin relaxation method used in the study of magnetic materials.
The School, which is usually held at the Materials and Life Science Experimental Facility (MLF) of J-PARC, will be held online to prevent further spread of COVID-19. J-PARC is one of Japan's flagship research facilities and is unique in the world in the range and performance of accelerator-based capabilities. MLF, located at the heart of J-PARC, is one of the world's leading centers for pulsed neutron and muon beam-based research.
The 5th Neutron and Muon School is aimed at graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and early-career researchers who are interested in, but have limited or no experience with neutron and muon beam based techniques.
The School will consist of introductory lectures on neutron and muon science and the application of neutron and muon beams in research.
Click here more information
School office: nm-school[at]cross.or.jp (Please exchange "[at]" for "@")
The School is sponsored by (tentative)
• The Japanese Society for Neutron Science (JSNS)
• Society of Muon and Meson Science of Japan (JMMS)
• J-PARC Center (J-PARC)
• Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA)
• Institute of Materials Structure Science, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (IMSS)
• High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK)
• The Institute for Solid State Physics, The University of Tokyo (ISSP)
• Materials and Life Science Experimental Facility, J-PARC Center (J-PARC MLF)
• Industrial Users Society for Neutron Application
• Comprehensive Research Organization for Science and Society (CROSS)
• Ibaraki Prefecture
• Ibaraki University
• Materials Sciences Research Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency
• International Society for µSR Spectroscoy (ISMS)
• J-PARC MLF Users Society
• Inter-institution network for accelerators science（IINAS）