Announcement of the J-PARC MLF Call for General Use Proposals (Short-term and One-year)
The J-PARC MLF is pleased to announce the opening of the Call for General Use Proposals (Short-term and One-year (BL11 only)) from Monday, April 18, 2022.
- Instruments requiring consultation before application→5. Instruments available for General Use Proposal
- For using BL08 (SuperHRPD) and BL16 (SOFIA), consultation with the instrument scientists is necessary before submitting the application because they may not be able to provide sufficient user support in this round.
- Note about proposals using the muon beamlines: In order to conduct joint research with the instrument scientists of muon beamlines, please consult with the instrument scientists in advance and agree on their roles in the experiment before submitting the application.
- On-site participation in the experiment→4. Requirement of on-site participation
The instrument scientist will not conduct experiment on behalf the PI. If the PI and the instrument scientist agree by 30 days prior to the scheduled experiment day that there is no prospect of implementing the experiment, the beamtime will be canceled.
- Latest template file for “Research Plan”→2. How to submit proposals, Submission of proposals
- Application will not be accepted if the latest template file (Ver.2022B, Ver.2022B+2023A) is not used.
- If plagiarism is identified in the application during the review process, the application may not be approved.→2. How to submit proposals, Other notes on proposal application
- Request to student PIs: Indication of AS and ES→3. Eligibility to apply, Notes on the proposal application by graduate students
- Eligibility to apply for P7 Industrial Applications→6. Choose the review field
Application is limited to PIs belonging to private companies.
- KEK beamlines cannot accept undergraduate students as Collaborators→8. Please Note
17:00 , Wednesday, May 11, 2022 (Japan Standard Time)
* Demand on the Proposal Submission System is typically very high on the closing day. You are strongly recommended to submit your proposal well in advance of the deadline.
2. How to submit proposals
The proposals type and Experiment period
|Classification||Experiment period||Applicable Beamline||Non-Proprietary Use /
|Short-Term Proposal||Regular proposal||November 2022 to March 2023||All Muon and, Neutron beamline||Non-Proprietary Use / Proprietary Use|
|Industrial application||Neutron beamline (Expect BL03 and BL20)||Non-Proprietary Use / Proprietary Use|
|New User Promotion||BL01, BL02, BL11, BL15, BL17, BL18, BL22||Non-Proprietary Use only|
|P-type proposal||Muon beamline only||Non-Proprietary Use only|
|One-year proposal||November 2022 to June 2023||BL11 only||Non-Proprietary Use only|
Submission of proposals
Estimation of beamtime
Estimate the beamtime with beam power of 700 kW.
Please write the application form in English. (Application written in Japanese is accepted only for P7 Industrial Applications and P9 New User Promotion.)
Other notes on proposal application
- If you cite text or figures from other papers or other sources, please be sure to clearly indicate the source of the citation. If plagiarism is identified in the application during the review process, the application may not be approved. Please be sure to obtain the consent in advance of those people (including instrument scientists of MLF) whom you intend to include as collaborators. (The proposal may be rejected if the collaborator’s name is written without his/her consent.)
- It is recommended to consult the instrument scientist prior to proposal submission on the sample environment, experiment condition, etc.
The contact information, sample environment, specs of the instrument, etc. can be found in the page of the instrument.
- This call for proposal does not accept application for Ibaraki Neutron Beamlines (BL03，BL20) from proposers belonging to private companies. To apply for Ibaraki Neutron Beamlines for industrial use, please apply for the proposal call conducted by the Ibaraki Prefecture.
【Contact】IQBRC Ibaraki Prefecture Office
3. Eligibility to apply
- Researchers belonging to a university, private company, public research institute, etc.
- Graduate students (masters and PhD students)*
* Notes on the proposal application by graduate students
- Graduate students intending to make an application as a Principal Investigator are required to contact the instrument scientists before submitting the proposal.
- Enter “Graduate Student” in the field of the applicant’s job title.
- Indication of AS and ES
- The applicant's academic supervisor must be registered as a Collaborator. In the field of job title, add “AS” after his/her job title.
- An academic staff member of the applicant’s university, which includes his/her academic supervisor, and research collaborator (not including graduate students) is required to attend and supervise the experiment (experiment supervisor). The experiment supervisor must be included as a Collaborator. In the field of job title, add “ES” after his/her job title.
e.g. : Professor, AS Research staff, ES Professor, AS, ES
※Application without AS and ES will not be accepted.
- If the proposal has been approved, the academic supervisor is required to submit the specified pledge for implementing the experiment.
【Export control for experiments by non-residents of Japan or residents of Japan with strong association to foreign countries】
In principle, experiments implemented by non-residents of Japan or residents of Japan with strong association to foreign countries are subject to export control (research team members, sample, obtained data, etc.). Please note that there is a case where the implementation of the experiment will not be permitted depending on the results of the screening of export control even if the experiment has been approved through proposal selection screening. With regard to applicants who belong to the organizations listed in the Foreign End User List of METI or the nationals of non-NPT countries, eligibility to apply is decided in consultation with MEXT etc.
4. Requirement of onsite participation
- The instrument scientist will not conduct experiment on behalf the PI. It is required that the PI or other research team member(s) come to J-PARC MLF to conduct the experiment including the preparation of the experiment.
- If the PI and the instrument scientist agree by 30 days prior to the scheduled experiment day that there is no prospect of implementing the experiment, the beamtime will be canceled. And if such a member is coming from abroad, be sure that he/she can obtain an appropriate visa.
- Please refer to the websites of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan for information on necessary procedures, conditions for coming to Japan, etc.
5. Instruments available for General Use Proposal
Please contact the instrument scientist for the specification of the instrument.
- Proposals using BL08 (SuperHRPD) and BL16 (SOFIA) need to consult the instrument scientist about the experiment in advance.
- In the case of intending to conduct joint research with the instrument scientist(s) of muon beamlines, please consult with them in advance and agree on their roles in the experiment before submitting the application.
Instrument available for General Use Proposal (Short-term)
|BL03||iBIX - IBARAKI Biological Crystal Diffractometer||IBARAKI|
|BL08||SuperHRPD - Super High-Resolution Powder Diffractometer||KEK|
|BL09||SPICA - Special Environment Powder Diffractometer||KEK|
|BL11||PLANET - High-Pressure Neutron Diffractometer||Public Beamline|
|BL18||SENJU - Extreme Environment Single-Crystal Neutron Diffractometer||Public Beamline|
|BL19||TAKUMI - Engineering Materials Diffractometer||JAEA|
|BL20||iMATERIA - IBARAKI Materials Design Diffractometer||IBARAKI|
|BL21||NOVA - High Intensity Total Diffractometer||KEK|
Inelastic Neutron Scattering
|BL01||4SEASONS - 4D-Space Access Neutron Spectrometer||Public Beamline|
|BL02||DNA - Biomolecular Dynamics Spectrometer||Public Beamline|
|BL06||VIN ROSE - Village of Neutron Resonance Spin Echo Spectrometers
* (only MIEZE spectrometer)
|BL12||HRC - High-Resolution Chopper Spectrometer||KEK|
|BL14||AMATERAS - Cold-Neutron Disk-Chopper Spectrometer||JAEA|
|BL23||POLANO – Polarized Neutron Spectrometer
* (Only unpolarized neutron use)
SANS and Neutron Reflectometry
|BL15||TAIKAN – Small and Wide Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument||Public Beamline|
|BL16||SOFIA - Soft Interface Analyzer||KEK|
|BL17||SHARAKU - Polarized Neutron Reflectometer||Public Beamline|
Other Neutron Instruments
Instrument available for General Use Proposal (One-year)
|BL11||PLANET - High-Pressure Neutron Diffractometer||Public Beamline|
6. Choose the review field
Please choose the appropriate category from the list below. The proposal is reviewed by the subcommittee of the category.
List of keywords for each sub-committee.
P1 Structural Science (Crystal, Amorphous and Liquid)
P2 Energy Science and High-Pressure Science
P3 Soft Matter and Biological Matter
P4 Magnetic Material and Strongly Correlated Electron System (Structure)
P5 Magnetic Material and Strongly Correlated Electron System (Dynamics)
P6 Fundamental Physics, Nuclear Physics, Instrumentation, Imaging
P7 Industrial Applications（*1）
P8 Materials Engineering
P9 New User Promotion (*2）
Q1 Electronic Properties of Matter & Hydrogen in Matter
Q2 General Applications
（*1）Application for P7 “Industrial Applications” is limited to the proposals from PIs belonging to private companies.
（*2）Application for P9 “New User Promotion” is limited to the proposals for which pre-application has been submitted.
7. Evaluation criteria
- Submitted proposals are assessed and selected based on the evaluation criteria.
- The scientific value of the proposal and the appropriateness of the necessary beamtime will be taken into consideration when deciding the beamtime.
8. Please Note
- Use of samples including nuclear fuel materials/elements is prohibited. Only RI samples permitted by the MLF may be used.
- Be sure to consult the instrument scientist prior to proposal submission if special sample environment (magnet etc.) is required.
- If the sub-committee decided that a different beamline is more suitable for the experiment than the beamline you have chosen, the beamline may be changed.
- Users who intend to bring in electrical equipment whose power output rating is 7.5kW and above/7.5kVA and above or equipment whose current rating is 30A and above must include the detailed equipment specifications in the research plan.
- KEK beamlines (refer to “Instruments available”) cannot accept undergraduate students as Collaborators. However, they can participate in the research as interns. If a graduate student participates as a Collaborator, write “Graduate Student” in the field of the job title.
- Experiment is not allowed to be implemented if it is attended only by students (including graduate students).
- If researchers belonging to a private company want to use a muon instrument, please contact us at the email address indicated at the bottom in advance.
- J-PARC also welcomes P-type proposals to conduct test experiments in preparation for general use and Project use (S-type use) proposal as well as proposals from the users who have no experience in muon use. For more details, please click here.
9. Indication of keywords
Please list up to 5 keywords that briefly describe the proposal in the Research Plan template.
10. Complementary Use
Please indicate if your proposed research includes, or is likely to include in the future, the complementary use of other major research facilities such as, but not limited to, synchrotron radiation sources (SPring-8, SACLA, PF, etc.), JRR-3, supercomputer(HPCI including Fugaku computer etc.), or other quantum beam facilities.
If the above applies to your proposal, indicate the details in the Research Plan template. This information will be used only to survey current trends in research proposals at the MLF.
11. Charge for use
Proprietary Use Charge is 2,983,000 JPY (tax included)/ day
12. Publication of results (Non-Proprietary Use)
- PI of Non-proprietary use experiment is required to submit an Experimental Report within 60 days after the end of the proposal round (deadline of report is here). The report will be published on the J-PARC Web site.
- Please publish the results of the experiment within 3 years after the completion of the experiment.
- Submission of the Experiment Reports of the past experiments conducted at the MLF and the publication of the results will be taken into account in the future proposal review.
- When publishing the results, it is recommended to consult with the instrument scientists in advance about who should be the co-author. It is also important to take into account the support provided by the instrument scientists and other staffs maintaining and operating the facility when deciding the co-authors. Please also indicate the proposal number and the beamline(s) used for the experiment in the publishment.
13. Disclosure of information
- The information below on the approved and completed experiments (Non-proprietary use and Proprietary use) will be published on the website.
Proposal number, PI’s name, Affiliation, Nationality of the PI’s affiliation, Beamline number, Allocated beamtime.
Title of Proposal, Allocated beamtime
14. Additional call for proposals
There may be an additional call for proposals in the case where the total of the applied beamtime in this call for proposal is less than the available beamtime. In that case, information will be released on the website etc.
15. Notification of review result
The review results will be sent to the applicants’ email addresses registered in the Proposal Submission System. The provisional notification will be sent around August 2022, and the official notification is planned to be sent after all the review process has been completed, which will be in September 2022.
16. Contact Us
J-PARC Center Users' Office
For Non-Proprietary Use:j_proposalmlj-parc.jp
For Proprietary Use: j_proposal_pmlj-parc.jp
For General Questions: jimurisokumlj-parc.jp